Sunday, January 17, 2010

Jack LOVES FOOD

Our little guy has rapidly progressed from a milk-only baby to a food enthusiast! He loves just about every new food we give him ... from this video, you can see he even loves Brussels Sprouts! He enjoys eating, holding his own spoon, sitting up in the chair like a big boy, and we try to actually eat dinner like a family at the table at least a few times a week. That was virtually impossible with his "fussy time" when he was breastfeeding exclusively ... but now, it's a great treat! Justin jokes though that he has "cobra reflexes" because his hands can dart out and grab just about anything within reach - and some things out of it!! Last night he knocked over my glass of water that I would have bet money he couldn't touch. And with this, babyproofing commences!!

We have made a few big changes lately. The first is that he is getting formula supplements, at least once a day. As good as my intentions were, I just cannot keep up with his appetite while I am pumping at work. He still nurses at night, in the morning, and on the weekends, but he is getting formula once or twice during the day at daycare. I try not to think of it as a failure - I really wanted to keep him on only breastmilk for longer - but it's the best I can do and I have resigned myself to that. I have learned so much about him, about myself, and about my ability to really "do it all" in the last months. I can't beat myself up over something like that when he's happy, healthy, and growing perfectly!

The second big change is that we are about to make the move out of the baby tub into the big bathtub. He's outgrown his baby bathtub - last week I found out that he can STAND UP in it all by himself! He also can grab the faucet, any soaps or bottles nearby, etc. Even though we watch him very closely, I don't think it's safe anymore. He could turn on the hot water or slip right out of the tub at any moment. So now, it's time for the big boy's tub! He can sit up on his own so we are in search of the perfect non-slip mat - and then he will be able to splash and play safely as much as he wants. :)

Next week he will celebrate his six-month birthday. It has been a rough learning curve but I really cannot remember our little family without him! His laugh and his giggles and even his cries are a part of the regular soundtrack in our house now - and it's such a welcome joy.

Lots of love,

Kelly and Justin

No comments:

Post a Comment