We still spend a lot of mornings at the duck park, and we go to Happy Hollow at least once a week. I also found a truly amazing place today, as I was in desperate need of a babysitter for Jack tomorrow when I have to go get my *ahem* female yearly exam done, and meet with a new OB/GYN to get a referral to an infertility specialist in the area. (More about that later.) A few other moms recommended it to me via word of mouth, at the park, and then I went on to read all of their reviews on Yelp.com. It seemed like everyone was happy with it so I figured Jack and I would go check it out, just to see.
http://www.kidspark.com/center/San-Jose/welcome/
It's a drop-in daycare facility, where you pay by the hour ($7.50/kid, I was shocked as we paid $15-20 / hour in Boston, and that seems to be the norm for in-home babysitting here.) Basically, they watch your kid just like any other daycare, but you don't have to have a set schedule or be enrolled. It's made for moms who need to run errands, go to the doctor, or do other things without small children around. The one we visited is right across from the Oakridge Mall, near where Justin bought his car, so I kind of knew the area and knew it would probably be pretty nice.
We walk in, and I explain to the desk lady that we are new and I just want to check it out. Before I can even get the words out of my mouth, Jack is pounding at the door, behind which he can see other kids running around and playing. So she said, "do you want to go play while I show your Mom around?" He was off!
She gave me a tour, told me all about the facility, etc. There were about 12 other kids there at the time, ranging from 2-5 years old. They have a lot of stations, for example: a climbing station with soft things to climb on, a drawing station with markers and crayons, a car station (Jack's favorite), a play kitchen station, a dark room with movies for rest time, etc. They are fully insured, certified, CPR-trained, and everything else you look for in childcare. I spent about 20 minutes looking around, talking to the teachers, and then I told Jack it was time to go. You would have thought that I cut off his leg. "NO Momma!!! MORE PLAY!! MORE CARS! NO NO NO MALL! NO ICE CREAM!" (as I tried to bribe him to leave.) So the teacher said, "why don't you just leave him, and go walk around the mall and relax for a little while?" I did, and it was AMAZING. You don't realize how taxing it is to drag a two-year-old around on errands he finds boring while constantly having to entertain him, until you don't. Anyway, I enjoyed about a half hour of blissful solitude and then I went back to get Jack. He was playing Simon Says with a few other kids and a teacher, having a blast. They had given him a snack and changed his diaper. He was in heaven.
So, I am very relieved to find a place where I know he's safe and having fun while I do things like go to the doctor. It definitely won't be a very-often thing, but it's nice in a pinch, and this way Justin doesn't have to rearrange meetings or leave work just because I have something to do. I wouldn't leave Jack just anywhere so it's very nice to have this backup.
Anyway, I am seeing a new OB/GYN tomorrow and I am very excited to get into this practice. They came highly recommended and they are affiliated with the hospital that I want to deliver at, should we be fortunate enough to get pregnant again. http://goodsamsanjose.com/our-services/maternity/index.dot I am hoping that they will refer us to an infertility specialist that we love (and have as much success with) as the one we saw in Boston. I asked Jack yesterday if he would like a sibling and he said "sister?" and I almost started crying!
Phew! Lots going on! Here are a few recent pictures...
| We have to go everywhere with either a bag of "animals" or the dead bee in a jar. And three or four cars. Sigh. :) The life of a little boy... |
| Turtle PJ's!! And McDonalds. Be quiet, it was a weekend :) |
| I am just as obsessed now with him sleeping as I was when he was a newborn. I mean really... does life get any better than this??? (And does he have enough taggies??) :) |
No comments:
Post a Comment