Tuesday, August 9, 2011

In one ear and out the other...

At Jack's 2-year-old checkup, I discussed with Dr. Stein the possibility for a referral to an ear, nose, and throat specialist (ENT) for Jack because of his tube that is in the process of dislodging. Lately he's been really stuffy, pulling at his ears, snoring more than usual (you should *hear* Jack and Justin sleeping together, OMG!), and generally complaining of a sore throat and runny nose. So I called, they made the referral, and the ENT got me in today for a late afternoon appointment.

Poor Jack. He has swollen adenoids and tonsils, so the first order of business is to get those down and get the stuffiness under control. We are going to do a very elaborate (to me) process for two weeks, involving steam baths, epsom salt, blowing bubbles to get it into his sinuses, a saline spray to keep him moist, and a steroid spray to get all of his enlargements down. He will then go back in two weeks for another appointment to determine if he needs anything removed or if he needs tubes reinserted or removed. He does have both tubes IN, although one is on its way out, it IS still draining properly and he doesn't have any inflammation or infection behind his eardrums, which is a huge relief. Ear infections always mean that Jack is up all night in agonizing pain...and super intense antibiotics...so it's good that both tubes are still doing their job.

He went through Justin's (VERY LONG) history of ear / throat / mouth problems and asked me a whole lot of questions about Jack. He will also order his records from Dr. Kenealy who performed Jack's tube surgery in April 2010. Overall I am glad that it's being monitored and that he's in good hands! Although I am praying and hoping that we will escape any major illnesses this winter (because, well, winter here is much milder than winter in New England!), it's very good to have someone to call should we find ourselves in the same position again.

A few funny notes:

  • The doctor was looking in Jack's ears, mouth, and finally nose with the lighted microscope thingy and when he put it in Jack's (swollen, sensitive) nose, Jack yelled "HAIR IN NOSE! HAIR IN NOSE!!! GET IT OUT!!" We both died laughing :)
  • They have a Thomas the Train set in the lobby. Jack was in heaven. 
  • How come both Jack and I are always in the "one percent of people that xyz thing happens to"??? I told him how Jack was one of the very few kids who got chicken pox from the vaccine. Just last week I was telling my new OBGYN how I was one of the few people who conceived immediately after the HSG (infertility) test. We are medical marvels, I tell you!!! Should I be proud of that, hmmm. Probably not.

No comments:

Post a Comment