Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Hello Baby Girl!!!!

We are so, so excited to announce that the Crosby family will be welcoming a baby GIRL in April! It was honestly a huge shock when we found out.

Jack had a rough night last night (it may have had something to do with us watching "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" on the couch right before bed...oops.) Anyway, he was up about six times and slept horribly. This meant that Mommy slept horribly, too. In between Jack waking up, I tossed and turned. I was very nervous about this ultrasound - much more nervous than I was with Jack. I went in truly not knowing or feeling one way or the other, and for some reason this time I am much more aware of all the things that can go wrong with a developing baby. So I was both nervous and tired. We decided to take Jack to play at the "inside park" daycare instead of dragging him to the ultrasound with us. We figured 30 minutes in a dark room with nothing to do or touch was just too much for him, even if he would love to see the baby.

Justin still feels awful, so he dragged himself out of bed to come with me. The ultrasound technician was super nice, and put us at ease making small talk while she got me all situated and measured all the exterior things (Pop Pop and Uncle Colin: I won't mention anything gross this time!!!) :)

Anyway, eventually she asked us, "so are you SURE you want to know? Becuase once you see it, you can never go back!" And I thought, "it's definitely a boy, we are about to see a penis." She said, "well, unless I am wrong, which I never am, you have a healthy baby girl!" I think I literally started crying and even Justin whooped with excitement. After that it's all kind of blurry in my mind - I was so excited. I remember that she measured her heartbeat (153 bpm, strong and healthy!) She spent awhile looking into her mouth and at her palate (all fully formed and functional! If you look closely you can even catch some shots of her opening and closing her mouth. So cool.) Baby girl is measuring 19 weeks + 1 day, which is perfect, and is in the 34th percentile for weight. She weighs 0.66 lbs. (WOW) She has 10 fingers and 10 toes. It's so weird even typing "she" because I guess deep down I really, really thought it was a boy!

We went and picked up Jack and told him, "It's a baby girl! You have a baby sister!" and he caught on very fast. I think he really understands! As for us, we are so blessed and feel so lucky. Our family was complete either way, but this makes it easier somehow.

Here are a few still shots:



Without further ado, here is the link to the full ultrasound (probably boring to most of you but we thought every second was amazing!!!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEPYrpKHIcM

No, there is nothing wrong with your computer. There is no sound - this was literally just the recording off the technician's computer.

Notable time counts:

17 seconds: See the bottom of her little feet!
1:02: A very clear shot of the spine from top to bottom.
1:38: Look at those four heart chambers beating away like a drum!!
1:44: The heartbeat monitor - hers was 153bpm, which was perfect.
2:16: You can see her heart beating clearly on the left, and she's opening and closing her mouth on the right!
Most of minutes 3 and 4 are measuring her head.
5:18 is measuring her femur.
6:26-6:27: She is pointing out the two parallel lines that are indicative of a baby girl. We suppose these are her ovaries (already formed, how amazing is that??) She then spends a minute or so poking around to make sure nothing is hiding...and confirms at
7:15: It's a girl!!
8:45: She starts poking around her mouth checking her palate formation.


We hope you enjoyed this movie of our dear, sweet, already very much loved baby girl :) Now, she just needs a name...ha ha.

4 comments:

  1. Congrats guys! Can't wait to meet the little lady!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are wicked excited for you all! I think you should name her Seven*. =)

    *Seinfeld, anyone?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, I was totally crying watching that. It is so amazing to me that she is SO perfect already! That is an awesome video, and how cool that you have it to show Jack too, so he can kind of see that there's a real little girl in there!
    I can't wait to see what she looks like in a few months! And to hear her name. :)
    Thanks for coming to play today. Spencer was so bummed to see you guys drive away.
    "I just want Jack to stay..."

    ReplyDelete