Thursday, April 19, 2012

In the hospital.

Tonight wraps up our third day in the hospital. I have heard from various doctors that I may be discharged tomorrow, or Saturday, depending on a lot of different factors. I am begging for every extra minute here, because I get to rest, have people bring me medicine at regular intervals, and heal. I know that once I get home, Justin and Gigi will be super helpful but Jack will want his Mommy's attention and it will be very hard for me to slow down enough to recover! 

Justin has spent most every minute with Caroline and me here in our room, but tonight I sent him home with little man to get some rest in a real bed. Poor guy had been sleeping on a pull-out recliner! (Not even a pull-out bed!) I felt bad and I hope he gets some rest too. He told me that he's been waking up every 45 minutes or so at night just to check that she's still breathing, because she's so quiet. He's such a great Dad!

Anyway, lots of things have happened in the past 48 hours. Jack enjoyed quite a few visits with his little sister, and his love and adoration for her grows every day. 

His favorite assessment? She's "so tiny!"
He's been fairly good about understanding why Mommy has to stay here (I showed him my big boo-boo) but he really doesn't get why the baby has to stay too. He keeps asking "can I take her home and play with her now?" It's really adorable.

Caroline has been a completely different baby than Jack. We got about 24 hours of lethargy with him, and then he turned into Mr. Active, even getting kicked out of the nursery at Newton Wellesley because he yelled too loud and woke up all the other babies. His sleep-wake schedule was erratic but also short - he gave me intervals of 2 hours of sleep here or there for the first week or two. 

Miss Caroline (or as I call her now, Miss Prissy Pants) is a sleeping CHAMPION. Seriously, if there was  a baby sleep Olympics, she'd win. She is pretty much only interested in nursing, getting swaddled, and sleeping until she's hungry again. She's yelled a little bit, but not much, and only when we do mean things like change her diaper or her outfit and make her cold.

Angry face #1. 

The "what the heck??" face. 
She's lost a few ounces and was down to 6 lb 4 oz this morning, but I fully expect that to bounce back tomorrow because my milk finally came in! And it came in FAST. I felt it starting at about 9am and by 9:30, I had a full milk supply ready and waiting for baby girl. I had a few problems getting her to latch properly, but she got the hang of it, and now my only problem is that I am making waaaaaaaay too much milk. Hopefully it regulates itself soon and I don't get an infection... we will see!

We learned today that she's a thumb sucker. While Skyping with Pop-Pop and SuSu, I undid her hands from the newborn mittens to show them her super long fingers. Within seconds, she had her right thumb in her mouth and her fingers splayed all over her face. Something tells me that she did this in the womb, especially when Pop-Pop pointed out that the "birthmark" between her eyes is where her pointer finger rests while she sucks. Hmm. Maybe he's onto something! Either way, I am trying to get her to take her binky more now, because getting a little one to stop sucking their thumb is hard (right Uncle Colin?!!) :)
Proud Big Brother! All the nurses love Jack - they give him
stickers and popsicles. :)
 Gigi has enjoyed holding her and working on photographing her, and I can't wait for her to do family pictures once we get home. (Holy cow, how do we have two kids??? It hits me randomly a lot.)

Copyright Annette Crosby, 2012. Doesn't this look professional??
Overall she's been a great baby! A cool, calm, and collected little girl who loves to sleep and eat her hands. :) I look forward to getting to know the little personality that's behind this because I am sure she will be just as awesome and funny as Jack is turning out to be :)

A few parting shots until later...
The tag from her bassinet. 
Doing her best Jack pose. Nighty-night family! Love you all!

2 comments:

  1. Love this! And the fact that you have already decked her out in bows galore ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all of the bows, too! I would do the same thing, bring on the girlie stuff!!!
    She is certainly a cutie pie. Super cute in pictures, but I must admit - even CUTER in person.
    Thanks for letting me stop by and hold her. She is precious.
    Enjoy the last bit of rest time and let me know if you need some more company. I'm happy to come up and hold cute little caroline ANY time!

    ReplyDelete