Yesterday (Friday), Jack, Caroline, and I loaded up and hit a running trail just over the Saratoga town line. It is gravel, wide, and runs along a railroad track. It is about 1.2 miles long, and I made a big deal to Jack about going running. He was excited, so I put C in the jogging stroller and off we went. It was a beautifully sunny day, and he took off like a jet.
I figured he'd get tired quickly. Nope! He was a running champ. We did the whole trail, stopping only a few times to talk to dogs (and their owners) or take a water break. He ran better, faster, and more steadily than I did...and he couldn't wait to do it again!
As we were headed home I saw a sign for Stevens Creek County Park. I told Justin about it and we were going to try a family "run" today.
Of course we got lost, and ended up in the Saratoga / Santa Cruz mountains. It was a beautiful drive, and no more than five miles from our house, we found a little RV park. We stopped there to ask the lady who ran it if we could walk around. (Jack was getting antsy.) She said, "well, you are welcome to....but I highly recommend driving up to Sandborn Park - it's just about a half-mile away."
We went, and wow! It was beautiful. Redwood trees as far as the eye could see. Groomed mountain trails. Creeks, running water, the smell of evergreens. Totally peaceful - only a few other hikers out. We grabbed a map and planned to take the San Andreas trail (easier and shorter) and make a circle and head back to the car.
Somewhere we took a wrong turn, and ended up on Petersen trail. Here's the map (if you can read it.)
Also - THIS would have been useful information before we set out.
Petersen trail is basically a super intense vertical hike up the side of a mountain. The trails were groomed, but it was HARD, especially pushing a jogging stroller. Jack had a blast and was way ahead of us (and in better shape!) the whole time. Caroline loved being outside and looking at all the trees and wildlife. Justin and I huffed and puffed our way up and down, sharing the stroller but having a blast.
We had such a good time! We can't wait to go back and explore more ... but much better prepared this time, with a back carrier for baby girl, no stroller, and definitely my good camera!!! It was amazingly beautiful, and such a fun and peaceful way to spend the day together.
My phone was dying, and it was the only phone we had (like I said, we were ill prepared for the wilderness!) But we did manage to snap a few pictures. We will definitely be doing more of this soon.
![]() |
| Look at those beautiful trees! |
![]() |
| Jack wanted to feel how cold the mountain spring water was. ....verdict: REALLY COLD. |





No comments:
Post a Comment